[PARPORT] ppa and /dev/sdN

Hervé Autret (autret@bcgn.grignon.inra.fr)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:08:13 +0100

Hello everyone here (hoping this in the thread of this mailing list)

I'm not a driver developper so I will avoid hacking the ppa sources as
long as I can. Let's call this the innner part of my problem, now here's
the outer part:

QUESTION: can we force ppa to allways create the same device , i.e.
/dev/sda1 ?

When ppa works, dmesg tells me:
( running a 2.0.35, SuSE 5.3 on a Cel.333)
ppa: Version 1.42
ppa: Probing port 03bc
ppa: Probing port 0378
ppa: SPP port present
ppa: PS/2 bidirectional port present
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
ppa: Probing port 0278
scsi0 : Iomega parport ZIP drive
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.13
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1
GB]
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: sda4

but depending on WHICH zip disk I insert in the drive, I might as well
get "sda: sda1" and this is troublesome for the basic users when they
use the Kde desktop devices, because /etc/fstab must contains smthg
like:
/dev/sda4 /zip_100 msdos rw,user,noauto 1 1
to allow any user to mount it, but of course it does'nt work when ppa
creates a /dev/sda1.

--
Hervé Autret
Unite de Bioclimatologie