Re: [PARPORT] External Boxes with parallel-ide interface. (paride)

grant@torque.net
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:47:55 -0500 (EST)

> MaPower series, I know where to buy (90-100$) them but I don't know the
> chip used. (The Salesman didn't let me open it :<, he also stated
> that the open version is CD only)

The MaPower drives use the Onspec 90c26 adapter. It is supported by
paride, but some people have had trouble with these cases.

> Also I found two no-name but for one (very cheap 60$ ca) is only 17 Watts
> and states only for CDs (I'd rule out this one). Another is quite powerful
> but the salesman states that is only for CD players thought on the
> box no such claim exists. The question is it possible that they are CD
> only or is it they sell them as such?

I'm not aware of any devices which would be "CD only" for any technical
reason. More likely, the case has a hole in the front and only has
the screw holes for 5.25" drives.

There might also be an issue with the Windows drivers, but that's
irrelevant for use with Linux.

If you can get any clues about the manufacturer or distributor of these
noname devices, I might be able to recognise the adapter. Here in
Canada, the Taiwanese clone cases are typically based on KingByte or
Shuttle chips.

We haven't seen any new adapters in some time - and all the ones that I
have encountered are supported with one exception: the Noveca adapter.

If you do manage to discover an adapter that you can't identify, just
make sure that it comes with drivers for DOS. If it does, we can
support it with about 95% certainty.