Re: [PARPORT] "Device or resource busy" on loading parport_pc

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 08:04:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Greg Ward wrote:

> # insmod parport_pc
> /lib/modules/2.2.0-pre7/misc/parport_pc.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> *Which* device or resource is busy? Is there any way to find out?

Yes - take a look at what "dmesg" says. It should give you a hint as to
what's going wrong. This kind of thing is usually because of IO space or
IRQ line, but since you didn't give parport_pc any options it shouldn't be
either of those.

> the 2.0 kernels? If this is the case, I'm guessing I'll have to supply
> some options to the driver when I load it: what are the options? are
> they documented anywhere? (not in drivers/scsi/README.ppa, not on the
> web pages referenced by them, and there's no Documentation/ppa.txt as I
> was hoping).

Have a look at Documentation/parport.txt. Briefly, "io=0x...[,0x...]

You shouldn't _have_ to do this though, if things just worked in 2.0.x.

> drivers through /dev/lp*? (For the record, I have *not* changed my
> /dev/lp* files; they're major 6, minor 0, 1, and 2 for lp[012].)

That's fine.