Re: [PARPORT] RE: [patch] ieee1284 nibble mode

Harald Koerfgen (hkoerfg1@ford.com)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:29:13 +0100

Hi all,

sorry for stepping in here. I've been lurking on this list for quite
some time now but haven't posted anything yet.

Anyway, about one and a half year ago I started some work to see what I
can do with my Epson 5500W printer (one of those W*n only GDI printers).
I've put this work on the waiting queue and concentrated on porting
Linux to the Digital DECstations :-).

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Ok, I'll try to do more tries frobbing up and down (and monitoring) other
> lines to see if I can found a logic in them. It's in my TODO queue, maybe
> I'll have the time to play with it this weekend. If somebody else is
> reading this and has my printer (or an Epson Stylus Color in general) and
> want to do the dirty work (and/or eventually need some hint) let me know.
>
> > > Please take a look at the specs I am looking at (just to see that I am not
> > > crazy ;):
> >
> > I've seen them. They don't tell the whole story. Perhaps Epson only read
> > the Fapo IEEE1284 overview when they made the Stylus, as it sounds like
> > they're not setting nDataAvail when they should.
>
> I don't have money for the specs, but I don't think Epson has my worry ;).
> Maybe they are using some other backwards compatible black magic to
> indicate that there's not data available anymore. If so I'll discover what
> they are doing ;)
>
> Andrea Arcangeli

According to an old Powerpoint presentation I found on HP's web site the
first two bytes of the device id string describe the length of it. I
tried that with my 5500W and it works fine. Andrea, I do have user space
test program available which reads the device id of my printer in NIBBLE
and ECP mode and you may want to try this with your Epson Stylus. I'll
send the program to you when I'm back home, if you like.

Greetings,
Harald