Re: [PARPORT] offtopic: DSL

grant@torque.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:00:33 -0500 (EST)

> Asynchron Digital Subscribers Line, basically a high speed phone line.

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line.

> According to the ~1.5 year old announcements it may reach the same
> or even higher speeds than the ISDN but on analog lines.

DSL's been around for a little longer than that - I first started looking
at it about three years ago.

It is what's known as "last mile" technology. It comes in many flavours
but basically uses sophisticated encoding and echo-supression to deliver
bandwidths up to 7Mb/s over "bare copper".

"lines" themselves are neither analogue nor digital. One of the potential
advantages of some DSL configurations is that they leave a low-band gap
so that a conventional DC carrier POTS circuit can be carried over the
same copper pair.

> There were much hype, but no real devices just "internal laboratory results."

DSL solutions are now being widely deployed, in North America, at least.

FYI torque.net has been using a DSL upstream connection for about nine
months now. I think that's a little more concrete that an laboratory
experiment.

But, lets move this discussion somewhere else ;-)