Re: [PARPORT] ieee1284 nibble mode, device_id

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:34:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Andree Borrmann wrote:

> Seems so...
> Which devices(printers) does this right?

I know for sure that the Canon BJC-210 (mine) does this properly, as well
as the HP LJ5MP (Carsten's, who did the initial lp readback code).

> Would it break standard conform devices to try to read 2 additional
> bytes?

I shouldn't think so.

> And then check the last character: Should be a ";"...

Oh, that's a good point. So we could initially believe the length field,
but if the last character we read wasn't a semi-colon, read another 2
bytes.

> I am currently working on "inverse" version of parport_probe so my
> computer can simulate to be a printer. (I'll try to reverse-engineer
> my printers protocol...)

Bertil Stroberg <bertil.stroberg@mailbox.swipnet.se> apparently knows how
to talk to a Win-GDI printer (OKI OKIPAGE 4w).. although the command sets
it speaks are apparently HIPERWINDOWS and OPEL.