[PARPORT] patch-2.2.3-tmw3

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:33:33 +0000 (GMT)

New things since patch-2.2.2-tmw7:

 o Collect device IDs from non-daisy-chained devices again (me).
 o parport_negotiate_later (me).
 o Module parameter irq/dma=auto forces use of IRQs/DMAs, even without io
   parameter (me).
 o We use semaphores again (me).
 o "lp on fire" is informational (B. James Phillippe).
 o Maybe some other stuff.

We've got two new functions: parport_negotiate_later and
parport_expect_status. I think all the API is now in place to support
non-blocking operation, with the possible exception of
parport_expect_interrupt.

I'm now considering it a bug if a port->ops->xxx_write_block function
can't be called from an interrupt handler, which means there are now more
bugs than there were.

Once these new bugs are fixed, the printer driver should be able to
properly support select(), and we should be able to add a magic sysrq to
dump the kernel ring buffer to the printer.

See what you think about how I've done parport_negotiate_later.