[PARPORT] 2.2.3-tmw3-4 and Iomega Zip Plus and printer

F Labrosse (masfl@maths.bath.ac.uk)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:08:30 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

Let me just give the results of my experiences and then ask 2 questions.

I've upgraded from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.3 hoping to see the imm driver
included in the new kernel. And , I'm happy, it is. I then even discover
that there is some support for daisy-chaining with the tmw patches. So I
tried the tmw1 (it was the only one at that time). Yes, the printer is
seen and I can print some things. Unfortunately, only the first lines of
the documents are printed. Back to the parport home page, I discover 3 new
versions of tmw: 2, 3, and 4. I thus installed version 4 and tried to
recompile the kernel. Here come the problems. It does not compile
(Undefined reference to memset in misc.a (parport_1284something.o) at link
time) I tried with tmw3: same thing. But tmw2 is compiling AND working
(the zip works and I can print whole documents).

So my questions are:

Is it worth trying to make tmw4 compile (I already spent a big part of last
night to find what the problem is, without any success)?

What do I have to do for the imm module being loaded automagically (I, for
now, have to do an "insmod imm" as root, which is not very userfriendly
;-)?

And finally, keep up the good work. It's fantastic.

TIA,

Fred Labrosse