[PARPORT] patch-2.2.4-tmw1

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:37:50 +0000 (GMT)

<URL:http://www.cyberelk.demon.co.uk/parport/patch-2.2.4-tmw1.gz>
<URL:ftp://www.torque.net/pub/parport/patch-2.2.4-tmw1.gz>

Lots of things have changed since I announced 2.2.3-tmw9. Here they are,
in approximate reverse order (newer changes at the top). A full list of
changes between 2.2.4 and 2.2.4-tmw1 is available at
<URL:http://www.cyberelk.demon.co.uk/parport.html>.

 o Merge with 2.2.4.
 o Handle timeout=0 in parport_wait_peripheral.
 o Better way of detecting ports that don't latch the data lines.
 o If the user specifies a base address, believe it.
 o Change the port->ops API so that no hint of a callback function
   remains.
 o Move ieee1284 timeout into device structure.
 o Don't even try to probe for the IRQ on simple ports.
 o Guard against recursion in lp_console_write.
 o Console on printer: don't freeze if the printer isn't responding.
 o FIFO size reporting patch (Phil).
 o Remove dead code in parport_register_port (Phil).
 o Undo non-blocking changes since 2.2.3-tmw2 (me).
 o Make a zero timeout meaningful (me).
 o Support for console on line printer (Phil, me).
 o Xflag fix (Phil).
 o Sorted out lp buffering (Phil).

Thomas, could you check that your weird parallel port is still detected by
this code? I've rejigged the port detection again. Does it also still
refuse to actually print sometimes?

Hope everyone has fun with the printer console -- remember to say Y to
parport, parport_pc, and lp.

The port->ops API has changed quite a bit. Basically there are no
callback functions any more, and you just say xxx_write_block (port,
block, len). parport_set_timeout now takes a device pointer instead of a
port pointer, and if you set the timeout to zero then it's safe to call
the xxx_yyy_block functions from all sorts of places.

As ever, let me know of any problems.