[PARPORT] Need update: Paride on DEC Alpha

Jonathan Sturges (jonathan@sprintmail.com)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:16:42 -0400

Hi,
I have a Multia 166Mhz. running RH5.1 w/ 2.0.36 kernel. I want to use
my
parallel port SyQuest drive on it. The SyQuest drive works wonderfully
on
RH5.1/Intel. However, I cannot make it work on the Alpha.

The problem seems to be on probing for the drive. At boot time,
everything
seems to initialize fine. EPAT registers itself (it's the only protocol
compiled in), and 'pd' loads. However, 'pda' (pd auto-probe?) complains
that no valid drives are found.

I took a quick glance around the linux-parport archives and saw some
concern that the Multia's have funky parallel ports. I don't know if
that
is a current concern, or was an old problem.

Does anyone have paride working on RH5.x on the DEC Multia? If so, are
there any special patches or special parameters needed to make it work?
Also, does anyone know if paride works on SPARCs running RH5.x?
(Separate
issue, I'm just curious.)

thanks,
Jonathan