RE: [PARPORT] Printer works in 2.0.36 but no in 2.2.x

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 1 May 1999 11:40:57 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Juha Sahakangas wrote:

> > Weird. It's the right number of characters but they're just wrong?
>
> Yes. I wonder what would it print if I would try to print some graphics..

More of the same, I would guess.

> Today (30.04.99) was my last day in work-training where the computer
> was so i can't continue working on this problem anymore.. Probably we
> were getting close to the solution there, as it printed even
> something.. well, i hope it may help someone else with samekind of
> problem.

That's a shame. It's worth knowing that 2.0.36 worked, and that the FIFO
didn't. IEEE 1284 is quite dismissive of compatibility mode, and only
defines it as much as it has to. It doesn't talk about error conditions
like out-of-paper, for example.

It's starting to look like 2.2 is too fussy about what lines are in which
state before going ahead and printing. Interestingly, it looks as though
the ECP chipset is too fussy as well. 2.0 just waits for the Busy line to
indicate ready, from what I remember.