Re: [PARPORT] HP COLORADO 8GBe questions

grant@torque.net
Thu, 13 May 1999 18:30:06 -0400 (EDT)

> > Best block size is 16K. The pt driver should report the tape capacity
> > whenever the device is opened. (Check dmesg.)
>
> In Documentation/paride.txt (2.2.6), it says:
>
> 2.5 Using the pt driver
>
> The pt driver for parallel port ATAPI tape drives is a minimal
> driver. It does not yet support many of the standard tape
> ioctl operations. For best performance, a block size of 32KB
> should be used. You will probably want to set the parallel
> port delay to 0, if you can.

Oops. I'm not being too consistent, am I :-(

> However, I have had problems with the system getting wedged checking
> cpio archives with -only-verify-crc and a block size of 32KB.

"wedged" has a nice ring to it, but it's not a very precise indicator
of what might be happening. Please load the driver with the verbose=1
flag and report all the messages that get logged. And, show me any
messages that appear when things go wrong.