Re: [PARPORT] Castlewood ORB drive

grant@torque.net
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

> I have heard on the news groups that a few people have sucessfully gotten their
> Castlewood ORB external (PP) drives working. I don't believe however that they
> were using the OnSpec LL drivers.
>
> Does anyone know more about this drive?

What more do you want to know ? I've already posted here twice that the
drive works fine with Linux, and that it definitely uses the OnSpec 90c26
adapter. There's no ambiguity about it. The mail you responded to was
a response to my original announcement.

I'm not sure why you think I'm wrong - but if you download the drivers
from their web site and have a look inside, you'll see that it uses the
"EGRET100" driver, which is IDE driver for the 90c26.

> To my logical way of thinking... (don't comment people).. I should be able to
> just use the ParaIDE support (generic ATAPI over PP) and it should find it with
> little fan fair (assuming of course, that I set the drive under windows as Fixed
> and not removable)

I've no idea what you are talking about. The drive is IDE, not ATAPI.

> I'll try to find out how they did that since I'm quite interested in getting
> one.. but it's useless to a laptop user if I can't get it to work with Linux..

How they did what ?