[PARPORT] Re: linux 2.x kernel lp.c and parport.c bug

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:09:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Yan Seiner wrote:

>when using manual feed with a limited time-out, the printer crashes with
>either an illegal instruction or a reboot after two or three jobs.

lp is simply sending data to the printer when the printer says to be
_ready_ (and without pending errors). You may want to try also increasing
the delay of lp in setting and releasing the strobe, try:

        tunelp /dev/lp0 -w 50

I don't have Xerox hardware so I couldn't notice that. We'll fix the
problem as soon as I'll have some more info (knowing if Xerox is using
some proprietary protocol would be very helpful).

If you have no info about the protocol I can send you some debugging code
to see what's happening on the wire.

I suggest you also to try out also latest Tim's ieee1284 code to see if
you can reproduce with it. (ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/parport/ if I remeber
well)

Andrea Arcangeli