Re: [PARPORT] System Locks Up

grant@torque.net
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:59:02 -0400 (EDT)

> Configuration:
> OS: Linux 2.2.5-15
> PC: Compaq Deskpro 4000 166mhz, 112mb RAM
> Drive: Syquest SparQ 1GB drive
> Settng: 0x378,DMA 3,IRQ 7

But, you've left out the most important bit: the port mode.

> As soon as I attempt to copy a file from the Syquest, my system locks
> up hard. No keyboard lights change, no mouse, nothing. Power down is
> the only thing that works.

(a) try running on a text console. You might actually see some messages ;-)

(b) have you let things sit for a few minutes ? The symptoms you describe
    can happen if the drive is hitting bad blocks.

> I'm not certain how I can get any type of debug trace as it doesn't
> seem to leave any traces in any place I can find.

Probably because you're rebooting the machine before they get into your
syslog. Try running on the console.

> The drive works properly with Win32 machines, as I use it to move large
> files back and forth from my office machine.

This puzzles me - are you using the _same_ media ?

> Another thing, in the /proc/parport/0 directory, the irq file is unset

PARIDE does not use interrupts or DMA.