[PARPORT] ppdev: PPSETPHASE?

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:59:11 +0100 (GMT)

Okay, I've just had a bit of a play with using ECP with ppdev, and I can
see why people are having trouble.

The reason that parport_ieee1284_ecp_read_data will return immediately
with no data is that the remote end isn't handshaking with us when we try
to reverse direction (we start off in the forward direction).

I'm trying to get two hosts to talk to each other, using a hacked up
cable, in ECP, so they _both_ think that they're in forward mode.

So I think I'll add a PPSETPHASE ioctl to ppdev, to complement PPSETMODE.
The idea is that you can then do:

int mode = IEEE1284_MODE_ECP;
int phase = IEEE1284_PH_REV_IDLE;
ioctl (fd, PPSETMODE, &mode);
ioctl (fd, PPSETPHASE, &phase);

to go straight to reverse ECP mode, bypassing the direction handshaking.

Any objections/comments?