Re: [PARPORT] Printer works fine with 2.0.36 but not with 2.2.7

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:52:37 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Herv Lemoine wrote:

> l have an old 486 DX2 66 VLB motherboard that l'm using as a print
> server.l recently upgraded from 2.0.36 to 2.2.7 kernel and Linux can no
> longer see the printer. Spooler seems to be busy but printer (Epson
> Stylus Color ESCP/2) does not work !!

There are some problems with the printer driver that are fixed in 2.2.9.
I'd recommend that you try 2.2.11 (the latest stable kernel) and see if
that works; if not, let me know again.

> /etc/conf.modules
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

And you're sure that the irq to use is 7? You could try loading the
modules by hand with no options, as they should default to safe and
sensible things: insmod parport; insmod parport_pc; insmod lp.

Could you tell me more about exactly how it fails -- does the printer do
anything at all, for example? The strace output wasn't very useful I'm
afraid, as lpr just spools the file up ready for lpd to despool it to the
printer.

Thanks,