[PARPORT] DUMP with an HP 5GB ext.

Gary J. Hanley (ghanley@world.std.com)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:33:24 -0400 (EDT)

Phew! Finally got my HP 5GB tape drive working on my RH 6.0 system.

I'm very happy. :-)

One question: Does anyone have a recommendation for the most preferable
backup utility to use? I've been playing with tar and it is very slow,
which is probably inherent to this type of media.

I am now trying 'dump' and having some problems getting it to realize
there is plenty of space on the device. I had to use the command:

 dump 0us 42600 -f /dev/pt0 /usr2

to get it calculate < 1 tape volume. I take it the EOT auto detect in
'dump' doesn't work on the Linux version? Maybe because of the device?

Anyway, any advice on a better command line for 'dump' or a better
utility would be greatly appreciated.

-- Gary