Re: [PARPORT] Bug Coorection and Help

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:52:52 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Gilles Noyer wrote:

> I have compiled patch-2.2.10-ppdev4 on a kernel 2.2.10, and i seen a
> bug a close
> time, the system crash at close time.
> The correction is to add the following line :
>
> static int pp_release (struct inode * inode, struct file * file)
> {
> unsigned int minor = MINOR (inode->i_rdev);
> struct pp_struct *pp = file->private_data;
> kfree (pp);
> file->private_data=NULL;
>
> MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT;
> return 0;
> }

Hi Gilles,

Can you explain why setting private_data to NULL fixes the crash please? I
don't see the problem with leaving it alone.

> I have a problem so, I configure the ECP mode, I succed to write
> characters, but the read
> is bad, if I have 4 charcacters to read for example "titi", I read 4
> "i" ie "iiii".
> Have you seem a similar problem.
> Thanks a lot.

There were some bugs in the ECP code. I'm not entirely sure that
2.2.10-ppdev4 is in sync with the development code in 2.3. Making a new
ppdev patch for 2.2 is on my list of things to do.