Re: [PARPORT] DEC Alpha and Avatar Shark Drive

grant@torque.net
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:24:13 -0400 (EDT)

> > I tried it with verbose=1. It probes a lot of addresses, and finds nothing.
> > However, the drive lights up during probing. It's as if it's not able to
> > communicate fully. Would a lava-type card work? Are there any special
> > drivers needed for it?
>
> Yes. 2.3.x recognises it without any fuss, but for 2.2 you need to apply
> this patch:
>
> <URL:http://www.cyberelk.demon.co.uk/parport/patch-2.2.10-tmw2.gz>
>
> Unfortunately, this brings in a load more than just PCI card support. If
> I find some spare time I might back-port just the PCI support as an add-on
> patch.

Actually, installing this patch won't make any difference as far as PARIDE
is concerned. You just need to know the base port of the Lava card and
pass it as an explicit argument when you load pd.

        eg: insmod pd drive0=0x6200

lspci or /proc/pci should be able to help locate the card.

If PARPORT is not installed, or the port is not known to it, PARIDE will
still work, but without the sharing features.