Re: [PARPORT] how fast is a parallel port really?

David Stes (stes@kava.be)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:39:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Heather wrote:

> Someone recently asked me how fast PLIP is compared to an ethernet
> cross-connect.

I get about 47KB/sec over PLIP. Much better than a 10KB/sec SLIP link,
but according to the chapter on the parallel port in 'The Indispensable
Hardware Guide' book, 100KB/sec should be possible.

However this assumes byte-wide transfers which are not implemented (I
think) for Linux (are they ?).

> Since I'm aware by my lurking that parallel ports now
> have different styles (flavors? settings?) - ECP, etc. - and with modern
> drivers (thanks!) it occurs to me that I really don't know.
>
> In the old days I would have been fairly sure that ethernet was faster
> by a good margin. Anybody have more than subjective thoughts?

Ethernet 10/100Mbps should be much faster than the 50KB=400Kpbs that I see
with PLIP.

PLIP was, however, much cheaper and is easy to set up, which is why I use
it.