[PARPORT] stupid printer question

Win Treese (treese@openmarket.com)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:41:31 -0400

I know there's likely a simple thing that I've overlooked, but I
can't figure this out after looking over all the parport docs.

I have installed RedHat 6.0 on a generic PC system, connected
to a TI Microlaser PowerPro PostScript printer. The printer is
configured for bi-directional communication, and it has an IEEE-1284
cable between it and the computer.

Sometimes the printer works, sometimes it doesn't. Once it starts
working, it will work until it is turned off or the system is rebooted.
If it is off when the system is booted, it almost never works. If the
printer is on when the system boots, it sometimes works (but not
always).

lpd thinks it is working, but often nothing prints and there is no
error. There are no errors logged on the system either by the kernel
or by lpd, except for the boot messages:

Oct 12 10:58:40 snoopy kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
Oct 12 10:58:40 snoopy kernel: parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.

and when lpd tries to use it:

Oct 12 10:58:40 snoopy kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Any thoughts? It used to work on RedHat 5.x.

Thanks!

        - Win Treese