Re: [PARPORT] looking for ppdev advice

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:09:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Carl Michal wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do EPP data and address read/writes and be informed
> when interrupts happen. I browsed through the ppdev source and it looks
> like all of that is in there.

Yes, it is.

> My device will be fairly 'dumb' - just glue logic and such, and I am
> wondering if when I use ppdev to set up the port, will data that I don't
> explicitly write to the port be sent out to my device?

No. There is an ioctl you can call to perform IEEE 1284 negotation, but
you don't need to call that. It won't do anything you don't tell it to.

> Can I set up the port to use an epp mode with a device with no brain - it
> will handshake the wait line on every strobe.

You can tell it to do EPP transfers, yes. (I'm not sure about EPP
'interrupts'.) You can also control the lines by hand if you like, if the
timings are good enough.