[PARPORT] Configuration/statistics gathering

Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:44:58 +0000 (GMT)

I've made 'tunelp -C on' work again in the stable kernel series, because
it looks to be necessary after all.

I'm now trying to forward-port it to 2.3. It's harder, because there
isn't really a way to fine-tune parport lowlevel drivers (like
parport_pc).

Another thing, which I've been meaning to fix for a while, is that
statistics gathering ought to be possible (if we're doing
software-controlled transfers). This is less important though.

So really, we need two more functions in parport_ops: one for setting
things like strict nFault handling (i.e. LP_CAREFUL or not), and one for
gathering statistics. (And statistics should presumably be stored per
device rather than per port.)

Does anyone have any good ideas for what the configuration function should
look like? In the absence of anything better, I'll make it look like
ioctl.