[PARPORT] paride: ls120 performance

Peter vom Stein (vstein@ifp.fzk.de)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:38:21 +0100 (CET)

Hi there -

we are trying to use an external LS120 (Imation Super Disk) drive on the
parallel port as an easy way to shuffle data (office/home,
Windows/Linux systems).

Of course I am glad that the paride driver set makes it possible to
use the drive on a linux box. I had no problems installing the
kernel-modules.
However, either I am still doing something wrong, or I can't imagine
being the only one to experience some drastic performance problems.

The system I am using is relatively new (Pentium II, parport with
EPP), but still the data transfer rate is rather low and the data
transfer completely blocks the rest of the system.

Thing look much better using the manufacturer-supplied Windows (not
our favorite OS) drivers, especially the "advanced" accelerated driver
that uses something called "staging".

I would like to now what's the story behind this, if there is any
improvement in sight ..

Hoping for some answers,

P.

--

Peter vom Stein IFP / Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe