[PARPORT] use mount with parallel port

Craig Muth (mediag@mediageneration.com)
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:44:36 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I am going to create some relatively simple circuitry which I will connect
to the parallel port of my Linux machine. I would like to simply read the
values that are being sent to the parallel port (I have no need to write).
I understand you can use the 'mount' command to treat the parallel port as
a file, but I have had no luck with it.

Once I have the parallel port mounted, I would like to be able to open it
(from Perl or Java) as I would a file, and sporadically read the current
values being sent to the port. If, for example, each time I read from the
port, a binary number was returned which represented which pins were
getting a signal, that would be perfect.

Also, I only need to read from 12 pins. If anyone knows off the top of
his/her head which pins are best suited for this, I would love to know.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Craig Muth