Re: [PARPORT] SDK kit (for scanners) from Canon

Karl-Max Wagner (karlmax@oberland.net)
Wed, 19 Jan 100 05:42:00 +0000 (GMT)

> I emailed Canon about sharing specs with the linux community for their Cano=
> scan 620 and 630P scanners and they later replied with "we do not plan to s=

Mail them again and tell them that if they provide the specs the
Linux community will develop the driver - in other words, they
get a driver without mucvh effort on their part. It would also
make them look good in the Linux community and that would
translate in more sales. Tell them all that. Maybe they get it.
You never know.

> upport linux." However, they did provide me with the opportunity to get an =
> Software Development Kit (SDK) from them. I was wondering if this would be =
> useful in creating drivers for linux?

Most probably not directly. However, if you can't make them give
anything else, take at least that. Maybe there is some example
code or suchlike that gives useful information. Always take what
you can get. Your mileage may vary. If it is completely useless
you can throw it away anyway.

        "It was hell. They knew it. Karl-Max Wagner
          But they called it karlmax@oberland.net
            W-I-N-D-O-Z-E" ham radio: DB8CO
            *********Member of No Code International*********
            ***********Visit http://www.nocode.org***********
            ********Membership Number NCI-2563-DB8CO*********
    _
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / . . . t h e c h o i c e o f a

"Et ceterum censeo ut Microsoftem delendum esse" (Cato, adapted)