[PARPORT] Scanning With Linux, changes with RH 6.0 -> 6.1

Jason Joy (kyroraz@mint.net)
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:22:48 -0500

I want to thank everyone so far that has given me comments and advice
with the tricky RH 6.1 setup that I had and report that my parallel
scanner and Linux are talking at least. I can scan.

Sort of.

I have a Microtek SlimSCAN C3 parallel model and had it working with
little or no hitches with RH 6.0 Mandrake Dist and using ppSCSI right
from the front page as the kernel patch. I was using either SANE .99,
or 1.00 as I had problems with 1.01 and upgrading my microtek2 drivers
to .8pre... But the scanner was happy, didn't do anything too strange,
and all was bliss. Now I kinda wish I didn't throw my scratched 6.0
disk away.

I'm not quite sure what the upset is, and I've tried SANE 1.00 and 1.01
with various microtek2 drivers compiled in, but the scanner acts wierd
now. I verified that the scanner isn't busted, broken, or otherwise
damaged. Connections are all clear. However, in black in white mode,
either using scanimage or xscanimage, the head of the scanner seems to
go a distance, roughly 2 or so inches, retreats back a inch or so, and
then goes forward 2, repeat. It bumps the top of the scanner and the
drive belt clicks a bit. Then the head comes back and goes against the
start bumper and clicks, at least for 30 seconds.

Color is the same, except that it seems to go ahead about a inch and
goes back to the beginning. Repeat infinite. At least, if it does
progress forward, it's too slow for my patience. :) (within 15 minutes
or so)

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any ideas/suggestions? (I
have contacted the author of microtek2 with a small bug report, but I am
not sure if it is the drivers per se...)

I know perhaps the SANE-DEVEL list might have been better for this, but
I thought maybe someone might have had the same development for this
scanner or simular (330 models) ... perhaps I shot myself in the foot
for getting a parallel scanner but I didn't think I'd be using it in
Linux. :) Ah well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason