[PARPORT] parallel-PCI card

Olivier Thomas (sst_tokyo@rosenet.ne.jp)
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:05:00 +0900

I have a Red Hat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-22) and I would like to install a second
printer on a parallel-PCI card. The name of this card is "Turbo Parallel"
from Boca Research.

I followed all the procedures in the parport.txt document.
The I/O of my card is 0xd020 and IRQ 9 (I got them in /proc/pci).

After loading all the modules (parport, parport_pc, parport_probe and lp), I
can not print anything on /dev/lp1 and my system gets frozen, I have to
shutdown manually the computer to restart. However parport~probe recognized
my printer (/proc/parport/1/autoprobe was filled with the information). Also
my /var/log/messages tells me 'lp1: using parport1 (interrupt driven).

I found a similar problem in the archives of the mailing list. Robin Garza
had the same problem (September 5th, 1999) and Tim Waugh replied explaining
that the code of 2.2.x looks for extra register at an address 0x400 higher
than the one I specified.

How can I solve this problem?
By specifying an address that is 0x400 under mine (Ox920 in my case ?)
Or is there a patch to correct that ? If yes, what is the name and how
should I install this patch (need to compile something?)

Thanks for your help,
Olivier.