ReRe: [PARPORT] Problem with writing anything to parport

Michael Fischer (mifi@eikon.tum.de)
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:19:07 +0100 (MET)

Hi Tim,

I tried compiling gcc with -O2 option and he linked without complaints.
But what has a optimize-parameter (-O2) to do with finding a library?

When running the executable (doesnt matter if root or not) it exits with
an error when calling outb: "Segmentation fault"
The program is nothing more than:

#include <asm/io.h>
main() {
  outb(0x0378,1);
  return;
}

> > I also tried without the modules loaded.
> What does 'dmesg' say?
************
<...a lot of stuff...>
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
lp: driver loaded but no devices found
************
If you need the whole output, tell me.

> > For non root access, do I only have to change device-permissions?
> They should be set fine already. What does it say when you do:
> strace sh -c 'echo > /dev/lp0'
strace can not be found on my installation. Should I install it? In which
packet can I find it?

another thing:
When trying to remove the parport-module it returns: "rmmod: parport is in
use"

Thanks
Michael