[PARPORT] Microtek Parallel-port camera?

From: Peter Bates (peter.bates@lshtm.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 11:55:33 EST

    Hello all...

    I'm a recent arrival here, but I just
    thought I'd throw this one in everyone's general direction...

    Down the road from me is a shop currently trying
    to sell off an awful lot of Microtek EyeStar cameras...

    These don't differ a great deal from this page:

    http://www.microtek.nl/products/cameras/eyestar2.htm

    which describes them as being of the following spec:

    Specifications:

    Product name Eyestar 2 (Colour Digital Camera)
    Sensor 1/5 inches CCD
    Colour 1.6 million colours (24-bits true colour)
    Resolution 640 x 480
    Power Interface Keyboard
    System requirements IBM compatible PC
                    at least a Pentium 100Mhz processor or higher,
                    32 Mb RAM, Microsoft Windows 95/98, CD-ROM
    Communication Port Parallel (ECP, EPP or ECP+EPP)
    Frame rate Up to 30 frame/sec. (160 x 120, DMA mode)
    Focus/Exposure Manual
    White Balance Auto/Manual
    Metric Dimensions 4.5" (W) x 3.1" (H) x 3.2" (L)
    Metric Weight 600 grams / 0.27 lbs
    Software Interface TWAIN & Video for Windows

    Basically I was looking into these things as some
    sort of Web-cam device for labs here, and so was just wondering:

    1) Has anyone heard of this beast, or a driver for it?

    2) Would it be incredibly difficult to write
    one if the device is similar (for example) to the old Quickcams?

    Finally, if anyone is interested here in the UK (or maybe further
    afield) I could even send you one... they're rather cheap!

    Thanks...