[PARPORT] Still having Zip parallel problems

From: G. Eric Morgan (gemorgan@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 03:23:38 EDT

    I am still having problems with BOTH Redhat 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0 on the same box.
    sda4 is not a valid block device. Here is my dmesg file where the
    parport_pc and ppa is loaded at the end (This is the Mandrake install btw). the other SCSI I have is the
    emulation for the CDburner which I have not yet wrestled with...

    Linux version 2.2.14-15mdk (root@kenobi.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version
    2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20
    snip....

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
    ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
    ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit
    scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
    scsi : 2 hosts.
      Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.09
    Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
    sda: Write Protect is off
     sda:SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 27010000
    scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
     unable to read partition table

    if I do
    mount -tvfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip I get sda4 is not a valid block device.

    I have tried 2 or 3 disks inserted at bootup and no disk at all... I did try an
    experiement tho. I did the ole lpr textfile.txt on a fresh boot and low and behold my
    printer fired up. I have no idea how to tell what has been compiled into
    the kernel but I suspect that the parallel printer support has been in the
    default Mandrake 7.

    When I try rmmod lp I get it is not installed. Is this the correct procedure to remove the parallel print services? Does this
    mean it must be compiled in statically? I see at boot up the lpd being
    started and stopped at shutdown. But I cannot find anywhere where it is
    loaded as a module and I cannot remove it either.

    Any clues?

    Thanks alot!
    Eric