[PARPORT] Important Info for Parallel Zip Users (Thanks Tim Waugh!)

From: G. Eric Morgan (gemorgan@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 10:59:27 EDT

    All,

    I have been having trouble with ZIP parallel. The ppa driver would detect the drive fine but could never see the partition table.
    dmesg:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
    ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
    ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit
    scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
    scsi : 2 hosts.
      Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.09
    Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
    sda: Write Protect is off
     sda:SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 27010000
    scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
     unable to read partition table
    ^^^^^^^^ problem!

    Trying to mount I would get this message.
    "sda4 is not a valid block device"

    I changed my BIOS settings from EPP 1.7 to 1.9 and it works. I changed back and it doesnt work. And back to 1.9 once again and it works once again. I hope this information helps some users and developers out there!

    Long live Linux!
    Eric