[PARPORT] ppdev and EPP mode

From: Vince Weaver (weave@eng.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 01:44:57 EDT

    Hi, I have a board we've developed for a class, and we talk to it using
    EPP.

    It is possible to talk to it by directly writing the the EPP registers
    [0x378 +3 and +4 for address and data], but you need to be root.

    I was trying to do this using the ppdev driver, thinking it would best to
    do this simple communication in user-space. I was having great trouble
    trying to get this to work, only to dig into the ppdev.c code to find it
    with comments saying "this hasn't been tested yet", and it seemingly is
    doing it in software instead of hardware!

    I then looked at kernel 2.3.99-pre3 thinking it might have more mature
    support, and it looks like all references to EPP have been stripped out of
    ppdev...

    so the question is, can EPP be done with ppdev?

    Vince