Re: [PARPORT] 7 switches connected to parport

From: Jochen Hoenicke (Jochen.Hoenicke@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 07:40:41 EDT

    On May 1, inri wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to input data using 7 switches connected to the parallel port. I do not know much about elektronics , and i put together a small circuit which does not work correctly. It was based on several parallelport - interfacing howtos i found in the web.
    > Three switches are connected to Pins 11, 12, 13 like this :
    >
    > pin ---------o-|R 13k|--- +5V
    > |
    > o--switch--- +- 0V
    >
    > Four switches are connected to Pins 1, 14, 16, 17 :
    >
    > pin ---------|out Inverter 74LS05 in|---o--|R 13k|---- +5V
    > |
    > o--switch----- +- 0V

    Pins 1,14,16,17 are output pins accessible via bit 0-3 of the control
    register (base+2). You should connect a led after the inverter.

    Pin 10 and 15 are further inputs if you need more switches. For
    bidirectional ports (PS2, EPP...) you can also use the Data-Lines
    (Pin2-9) as inputs _after_ setting the direction bit (bit 5) in the
    control register.

    Don't ask me for electrical specification, though.

      Jochen