[PARPORT] vmware, EPP, ECP, ZIP drive, printer port

From: IgoR (IgorF@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 22:03:25 EDT

    If ECP is selected in BIOS, I am not able to use ZIP drive in Linux.
    I have an old ZIP drive (100MB).

    With EPP selected in BIOS , everything works fine.

    I guess you are wondering why I am asking you for help.
    The reason is very simple.

    I do run on my LINUX box ( RH6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5.0) VMWARE.

    In order to make parallel printer and ZIP drive running
    within virtual machine I have to select ECP in BIOS. My virtual machine
    is WIN98.... to be precise... I do run REAL WIN98 partition
    as a virtual machine...

    So, ZIP drive and parallel printer work fine in virtual WIN98.
    But, in this case I am not able to mount ZIP drive in LINUX.

    Yes, I did try to mount ZIP drive in LINUX before and after
    booting virtual WIN98. No difference... I can not mount ZIP drive..

    but

    if I select EPP in BIOS, then I can mount ZIP drive in LINUX
    and I canNOT use parallel port and ZIP drive in virtual WIN98.

    Is there any parameter I should pass to the "ppa.o" in order
    to make parallel port + ZIP drive accessible from LINUX when
    ECP is selected in BIOS ?

    Thanks in advance

    Igor

    P.S: summary:

    ECP selected: ZIP drive and parallel printer work in virtual WIN98
                  I can ***not*** mount ZIP drive in LINUX

    EPP selected: ZIP drive and parallel port is ****not*** accesible from
    virtual WIN98
                  I can mount ZIP drive in LINUX