Re: [PARPORT] Paralel tape

From: CMN (echarters@primus.ca)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 18:33:27 EDT

    At 02:45 PM 6/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
    >Hello everybody,
    >
    >I have a question related to tape drives connected to the paralell port. I
    >am running linux Redhat 6.1, Kernel 2.2.12 and I am looking for a tape drive
    >( exhabyre 8mm tapes) for the paralell port. I checked the Hardware
    >compatibility page and I did not find any specific information. I am
    >wondering if somebody in this list has a exhabyte tape drive connected to
    >the paralell port working well, if so which brand and do I need any patch or
    >something in my kernel to make it work? I appreciate your help.... Ramiro
    >Amaya

    # some things under ftape may need the latest version of ftape but your
    kernel sounds new enough.. if this below works..

    # DittoDash 2GB Parallel port drive (alos scsi and floppy too I think)
    from IOMEGA work under ftape I understand. I have one, yet have not set it
    up in Linux. Go to the Linux ftape site for info. Units run about 200
    dollars.
    Now, does ditto dash, that is not formattable under Linux or windows, as it
    uses preformatted tapes .. work on exabyte?.. I dunno... It does quic-02 annd
    quic-80 formats I think, but don't quote me. Will do more research as I
    attempt
    to set it up in the next week.

    PS. I am on slack 3.6 and 4.0, kernel 2.035 and 2.2.X on two machines.

    EC<:-}