[PARPORT] printer

From: David Bronson (dbron@roman.net)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 22:24:27 EDT

    If this is off topic, please accept my apology. I would appreciate direction to a more appropriate resource if there is one.

    I am trying to set up an HP Laserjet 6L on a SuSE 6.3 box. If I attempt the following command, I get this result:

    david:~ # cat /proc/parport/0/irq > /dev/lp0
    bash: /dev/lp0: Device or resource busy

    I know that the printer works and I thought that I should be able to send output to that address and have it print.

    Also, are there any problems you can see from the information below?

    david:~ # cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
    base: 0x378
    irq: none
    dma: none
    modes: SPP,PS2,EPP

    david:~ # lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    lp 5380 1 (autoclean)
    vmnet 15424 4
    vmppuser 5412 0 (unused)
    parport_pc 7396 1 [vmppuser]
    parport 7320 1 [lp vmppuser parport_pc]
    vmmon 17024 1
    ppp_deflate 40812 0 (autoclean)
    bsd_comp 3828 0 (autoclean)
    ip_masq_ftp 2584 0 (unused)
    ppp 20236 2 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
    slhc 4500 1 (autoclean) [ppp]
    ne 6732 1 (autoclean)
    8390 6420 0 (autoclean) [ne]

    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I have read the printing howto until I am blue in the face and can't seem to make any headway with this...

    David Bronson