[PARPORT] ZIP drive detected, but no disk

From: Mike Castle (dalgoda@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 11:42:13 EDT

    It's been a while since I've used my ppa based ZIP. Since then, I've
    upgraded from 2.0.36 through various versions to 2.2.15pre15. (I recently
    whacked /usr, so not done more upgrading).

    I've decided to finally start doing backups and figured I'd use the ZIP.

    Unfortunately, I'm having minor difficulties. It doesn't work.

    I suspect I have a dead zip drive, probably from getting knocked off the
    computer one too many times. I'm hoping someone else will recognize the
    symptoms I'm seeing and help.

    When I do a modprobe ppa, it detects the zip drive. However, I never get
    any indication of a disk in the drive. From dmesg:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,PS2]
    parport_probe: failed
    parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    ppa: Version 2.05 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP
    ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
    ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
    scsi0 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
    scsi : 1 host.
      Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.13

    I've also tried ppa 2.03 with 2.2.15pre15 and 2.03 with 2.2.14, all same
    results.

    Notice there is nothing from the scsi system indicating a disk on /dev/sda.

    And I did have a disk in the drive when I probed. Have tried multiple
    disks (I'm not certain if the disks with be part 4 with FAT, part 1 with
    ext2, or a tar file; one of the things I'm trying to do is see what's on
    the disks before I write over them!).

    Anyway, is this what you would normally see if you did modprobe ppa with
    not disk in the drive?

    If so, then it appears that indeed the drive is no longer recognizing the
    presence of the disk in the drive. In which case, I think I may do some
    hardware hacking. If I shake it, I don't hear anything rattling around
    inside, so it's not that obvious.

    Any ideas, hints, or suggestions?

    Thanks!
    mrc

    --
           Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all