[PARPORT] new library 'parapin' for parallel port programming

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@usc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 21:59:19 EDT

    Hi,

    I just found this mailing list today and thought I'd mention a new
    programming library that I released a few months back that might be of
    interest.

    "parapin" (http://www.circlemud.org/~jelson/software/parapin) is a
    parallel port programming library for Linux. The library makes it
    easy to write C code under Linux that controls individual pins on a PC
    parallel port. This kind of control is very useful for electronics
    projects that use the PC's parallel port as a generic digital I/O
    interface. Parapin goes to great lengths to insulate the programmer
    from the somewhat complex parallel port programming interface provided
    by the PC hardware, making it easy to use the parallel port for
    digital I/O. By the same token, this abstraction also makes Parapin
    less useful in applications that need to actually use the parallel
    port as a parallel port (e.g., for talking to a printer).

    Parapin has two ``personalities'': it can either be used as a
    user-space C library, or linked as part of a Linux kernel module. The
    kernel module plays nicely with the 'parport' module.

    The user and kernel personalities were both written with efficiency in
    mind, so that Parapin can be used in time-sensitive
    applications. Using Parapin should be very nearly as fast as writing
    directly to the parallel port registers manually.