[PARPORT] User-space driver causing kernel oops in 2.4.0-test2

From: Jan Prikryl (prikryl@cg.tuwien.ac.at)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 15:30:18 EDT

    Hello,

    I've just written a small code to test if I'd be able to read some
    switches that we have connected to a parallel port as a replacement of
    old code that was communicating directlyu over /dev/port ... I have
    installed the last 2.4.0-test2 kernel version, and after opening a
    parallel port with

            fdport=open(devname, O_RDWR);

    i claim the port using

            if (ioctl(fdport, PPCLAIM))
            {
            }

    but I keep getting kernel oops follwoed by coredump in the moment that
    I use the PPCLAIM ioctl:

    | Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 5a5a5b4e
    | printing eip:
    | c019807b
    | *pde = 00000000
    | Oops: 0000
    | CPU: 0
    | [...]

    The parallel port support has been compiled into the kernel, no
    modules. It seems to initialize OK:

    | parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,ECP]
    | parport0: irq 7 detected
    | [...]
    | ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

    Did I do something obviously wrong? If 2.4.0-test2 is broken, could
    someone tell me which 2.3.x version is most likely to work?

    Thanks.

    -- jan