[PARPORT] Re: [PARPORT} REALLY bizarre problem...:-(

From: Laurence John Oliver (joliver@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 04:09:42 EDT

    Hi all,

    URGENTLY need some help with a problem that (to me anyway) makes NO
    sense whatsoever:-(((

    Several people on this list helped me out a while back with getting my
    HP Colorado 5GBe parallel port atapi tape drive working under Redhat 6.2
    on my laptop...

    All *seemed* to be going well until it turns out that there is no way I
    can actually ERASE or back up over archives written to the tape (whether
    it be using DUMP or TAR or whatever...)

    In order to fix this problem someone recommended that I try installing
    TAPER because it can apparently work in 'raw mode' and can do a few of
    the things I want it to do...

    ANYWAY - I installed taper - and NOW I cannot do ANYTHING with the tape
    backup - the usual sequence of:

    insmod parport
    insmod paride
    insmode epat
    insmode pt drive0=0x378,0 verbose=1

    NO LONGER WORKS:-((((

    - parport loads, paride loads, epat loads and THEN when I try to load
    'pt.o' I get:

    '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/misc/pt.o: init_module: Device or resource busy'

    Considering the time and effort it took to get the tape drive working in
    the first place I'd REALLY appreciate some help to work out what has
    gone wrong:-)

    Apart from installing TAPER (6.9a-2 - the one that comes with the
    original Redhat 6.2 distribution cd) the only other change I've really
    made to the system (laptop) since originally getting the tape drive to
    work was upgrading from kernel 2.2.14-5 to 2.2.16-3...

    HELP!:-)

    John.