[PARPORT] printer troubles with rh6.1

From: matt (matt@cipherdesign.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 09:45:25 EDT

    hi all, ive looked thru the archived lists before subscribing, but couldnt
    find anything that related to my problem. sorry if ive overlooked
    something.

    im using redhat 6.1, with 2.2.15 kernel.

    when i compiled the kernel i selected 'parallel port support' and
    'pc-style hardware' (general) and 'parallel printer support' (char
    devices)
    i compiled all these into the kernal, ie not using modules.

    my bios settings for the parallel port are:
    0x378
    spp/ecp
    irq 7

    when rh boots, this is what happens:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
    parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
    parport_probe: succeeded
    parport0: Printer, Brother HL-1240 series

    /proc/parport/0 is created, with 4 files:

    1) autoprobe contains:
    CLASS:PRINTER;
    MODEL:HL-1240 series;
    MANUFACTURER:Brother;
    COMMAND SET:PCL4,PJL;

    2) hardware contains:
    base: 0x378
    irq: none
    dma: none
    modes: SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

    3) devices doesnt have any contents

    4) irq contains
    none

    so far i think, so good.

    however when i try to check the lp devices:

    lptest > /dev/lp0 #ive also tried lp1, par0 and 1, parport0 and 1

    i get this message if i am a normal user:

    bash: /dev/lp0: Permission denied

    and if i am r00t, i get this:

    bash: /dev/lp0: No such device