Re: [PARPORT] Distro setup problem

From: rjh@world.std.com
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 14:59:45 EDT

    On 29 Sep, Tim Waugh wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 07:20:15AM -0400, rjh@world.std.com wrote:
    >
    >> Any hints about likely places to check or configuration items that might
    >> disable the read drivers?
    >
    > Compiler bugs? But something that large would surely break
    > everything..

    It now looks like a possible mismatch in patches. I got an hour on the
    Turbo system and found that the port structure was wrong. It contained:

    port->base = 0x378
    port->hi_base = 0x0

    and ECR present bit was set. The actual hardware has an ECR, so hi_base
    should have been 0x778. This is why the wierd problems. The ECR
    related commands and macros, like ECONTROL(), were going to the wrong
    I/O address.

    Was there a patch or addition related to this that came out in the
    2.2.14 time period?

    I just got another disk drive so that I can examine a Turbo system in my
    lab. The problem Turbo system is inconveniently located on the other
    side of an ocean.

    I was guessing it was configuration related at first. It is unlikely to
    be compiler related. I looked at the relevant assembler for my part of
    the driver. It looked correct. Also, when I replaced the ECONTROL
    macro with one that just inserted 0x77a most of the problems went away.
    I think that if I also replaced the FIFO macro the rest would go away.
    But that is not a proper answer. The real answer is fixing the
    initialization of the port structure.

    R Horn