[PARPORT] Newbie with External CDRom Drive with Linux needs help please!

From: Terry Filby (m02we400@cwcom.net)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 14:33:09 EDT

    I recently bought a Thinkpad 560E and asked for Linux to be installed
    for me, don't know how it was installed, over the net or by CDRom, but I
    have neither of these with it. The spec is: 150MHz, 48Mb Ram, 2.1Gb Hard
    Disk. Apart from the built-in Easy Setup on the Thinkpad, the rest is
    taken up by Mandrake 7.0.

    So, I needed a CDRom Drive and have now got a brand new one from a local
    Computer Fair. It's un-named but it works fine, but I can't get it to
    talk to Linux, it's labelled on the box that it supports, PC, Mac and
    Unix. The floppy disk supplied with it has a list on it of:
    Parallel/SCSI
    Parallel/IDE
    Parallel/CD-ROM
    PCMCIA/IDE and the software I actually got was for Parallel/IDE.

    I went to the firm I got it from with the Drive and Thinkpad and
    articles I had downloaded from Torque about IDE and SCSI, they suggested
    I got some SCSI software from the Net, but when I tried to download from
    the Website, I found that they weren't about software, but special
    leads. There must be some software somewhere that would do the trick,
    but where?

    The little booklet I also got with the External CDRom Drive is called
    'Parallel to Atapi/IDE Manual, so I didn't understand why I was told to
    get SCSI software, and if I needed it, why it wasn't on the floppy disk
    I got. So, please, what is the diference between IDE and SCSI - I'm
    confused - please help.

    Thanks

    Terry