Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Eythan Weg (weg@gauss.wintek.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 09:14:33 EST

    Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> writes:

    > On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 07:51:40PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >
    > > If you are *real* quick with a run of lpq within a second of having
    > > something dumped to lp0
    >
    > No, this isn't a print spooler problem, it's a printer driver
    > (kernel-mode) and/or hardware issue.
    >
    > I think the way to trace it would be to try to find something that
    > works, and see what's different from the situation you have.

    Ok.

    I changed the printing test to its minimal
    requirements: BIOS is NORMAL which is reported as
    PCSPP,TRISTATE (this is from 2.4.0-test11 and
    similarly for 2.2.18pre21). No probing.

    Neither 2.2.18pre21 nor 2.4.0-test11 behaves
    properly. They both allow me to write to /dev/lp0
    without error. No printing though. Both returns
    error if I try to read from /dev/lp0 which I would
    expect under this condition.

    Now I want to verify if I do something wrong with
    the kernel configuration.

    For 2.2.18 it is as follow: parport, parport_pc,
    pnp_parport, paride, and printer are set to
    modules. Pnp and printer_readback are in the
    kernel. This is compiled with gcc-2.7.2.3.

    For 2.4.0-test11 it is as follows: parport,
    parport_pc, printer are modules. parport_pc_fifo,
    parport_1284, pnp, isapnp are in the kernel. This
    is compiled with gcc-2.95.2. (I do not have easy
    access to the recommended compiler.)

    Do you see anything obviously wrong here?

    eythan