Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Eythan Weg (weg@gauss.wintek.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 11:37:04 EST

    Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> writes:

    > On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:00:54AM -0500, Eythan Weg wrote:
    >
    > > Nothing! I enter superstition mode and take away
    > > unneeded features from the kernel. Also recall that
    > > that this printer printed under some configuration
    > > under some version of 2.4.0 and 2.2.x.
    >
    > Do you happen to have a different printer or cable that you could try?
    >
    > Tim.
    > */

    I worked in two stages.

    1. The two computers are close enough so I
        switched the computer ends of the two cables
        feeding the two printers. So now the epson is
        connected to the other computer which runs
        2.2.16 with the original cable that serves it,
        and the other printer is connected to the
        computer under study with its original cable.
        Result the epson does not print using "good
        kernel" with its own cable. The other printer
        with its cable prints under the "kernel under
        study". I concluded that either the epson
        printer is bad or its cable. The kernel under
        study is ok.

    2. Switched the printer ends of the cables. Now
       the other printer does not print with "good
       kernel" and the epson prints with the other
       cable with the kernel under study. Bad cable!

    But wait. Why could I print under windows with
    that bad cable? One answer is that it is all
    probabilistic. The cable is unreliable. It
    printed for awhile and then entered an uncertain
    stage. But still why it prints reliably under
    windows (well, the few time that I tried) and not
    at all under linux?

    I never imagine that the behavior could be so
    different under the two situations.

    Thank you.

    eythan