Re: [PARPORT] HP 7200 CD-Writer+ under RH7.0 (2.2.16 kernel)

From: Joerg Schilling (schilling@fokus.gmd.de)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 16:26:26 EST

    >From alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk Sat Dec 9 22:10:08 2000

    >> I don't like to repeat this, but binary compatibility seems to be a foreign
    >> word on Linux.

    >SCSI generic is nicely back compatible

    To make libscg work on almost all Linux systems, I had to work hard.

    >> Check if the include files in /usr/include match your kernel....

    >This is incorrect advice

    Give a better advice!

    Your mail does not help anybody, why do you send it this way?

    >> If this does not help write to the sg maintainer.

    >As is this.

    So what do you suggest instead?

    Missing binary compatibility on Linux causes me a lot of headaches.

    The only reason for this problem besides problems with the include files
    could be the possible fact that someone from the Linux kernel team learned
    that the correct errno for an illegal IOCTL is _not_ EINVAL but ENOTTY

    ... _and_ cdrecord is run on such a Linux kernel that does not understand
    the SG_IO ioctl or the ioctl changed its parameter.

    Would you call this a nicely backwards comapatible driver?

    Jörg

           js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
           schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling