Re: [PARPORT] Questions and first pass at ieee1284 MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE support

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 04:45:56 EST

    On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 04:26:21PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > The user space matching scheme that I described will only
    > determine what modules to load. Once the modules are loaded, it is
    > up to them to figure out which devices to bind to. Imagine that
    > I have a system with three parallel ports, one of which has a
    > zip drive attached to it. Once the module is loaded, how does
    > it figure out which port to bind to, if it cannot check the
    > ieee1284 device string?

    I see what you mean. I think most drivers look for their device on
    all ports once they're loaded anyway. I think that's probably
    enough isn't it?

    But if the kernel matching is easy to do and doesn't complicate things
    too much..

    > OK. Thanks for the information. Also, are you sure that
    > there is a device where a keyword is given in lower case (for
    > example "cls:" is used instead of "CLS:")?

    No, I'm not sure. The specification says there could be, but lots of
    vendors don't seem to have paid much attention to the spec. ;-)