[PARPORT] HP 5200C

From: Tony Hoyle (tmh@magenta-netlogic.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 14:07:45 EST

    I have an HP 5200C connected via parallel port running the epst module.

    Recently (possibly with a kernel upgrade - 2.4.0-test11) it has
    developed a problem
    whereby if the scanner has switched itself off, linux can't
    re-initialise
    it properly - 'scanimage -T' gives 'I/O Error'.

    Connecting the scanner to a Win2k machine, doing a preview then
    reconnecting
    it to Linux solves the problem, and the scanner behaves normally.

    I suspect the epst driver is failing to perform some action that is
    required
    when the scanner powers up. /var/log/messages looks normal except for
    some
    'abort not supported' messages.

    If I can work out how to connect the thing using USB would this be a
    better bet?
    (It has a PS/2 port at the back which I assume is USB but I've no idea
    of the pinouts
    or whether you can get cables for it).

    Tony

    Extracts from messages:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
    parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378, irq=7, dma=255
    ppSCSI 0.92 (0.92) installed
    epst.0: epst 0.92 (0.92), Shuttle EPST at 0x378 mode 2 (PS/2) dly 1 nice
    0 sg 16
    scsi0 : epst
      Vendor: HP Model: C7190A Rev: 3846
      Type: Processor ANS
    Detected scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 3

    epst.0: Command abort not supported
    epst.0: Bus reset

    --

    "If a system is of sufficient complexity, it will be built before it is designed, implemented before it is tested and outdated before it is debugged." - McAuley's Axiom

    tmh@magenta-netlogic.com